Keeping in step with my last several letters to you, today I thought I would take this time to touch base on why the bad ideas of our culture are such a big deal and where the freedom comes from after understanding the harmfulness of these ideas.
Idea #1: My own truth – The idea that what you “know” depends on the way you feel and is a valid moral compose to which you can and should live your life according to.
Idea #2: I am enough – The idea that everything you need, physically, mentally and spiritually is within you.
Idea #3: Self Help -The idea that what you can accomplish depends on how much you believe in yourself and your abilities. You must only realize it.
I’m not going to waste your time writing my opinion on why these are bad and deceitful ideas instead I want to offer you a few questions to ask yourself.
- If Jesus says that he is the way the TRUTH and the life (John 14:6), How can I also be the truth?
- If I claim the way I feel to be the truth, how could I ever debate anyone else’s behavior based on how they feel?
- If I do not believe that all of the bible is true then how can I believe any of it is true?
- If I have everything I need to accomplish everything I desire, then where does Jesus fit into my life?
- If I am in need of nothing outside of the here and now, then why did Jesus sacrifice His life for me? or did he even sacrifice his life for me?
So, where is the freedom in this?
Let’s recap what deceit is. Deceit is giving someone the wrong Idea about something. Our culture’s ideas give us the wrong idea about life and God and that allows FALSE PROMISES to sneak into our hearts unnoticed. These false promises are things like, if you work hard you will get the raise, if you love your husband well he won’t cheat, If you believe enough you’ll be healed, If you think positive your depression will go away, etc. These are not promises. We live in a fallen world and when these false promises can’t be fulfilled we become bound up, warn out and deceived.
My husband always reads my posts and then says, “So, is there some sort of action step you can give them to help them incorporate this in their lives?” and I always think, Oh yeah that’s exactly what women need is another thing to add to their todo list. ha! right?! But he kinda has a point so I’ll leave you with this,
Read your bible, pray, Repeat.
And remember Love God your most so that you can love others your best.